I’m featuring Lost in Love by Susane Colasanti today! I absolutely adore Susane’s books – I started reading them back when her first book came out When It Happens, and I have been devouring them ever since!
First off, I have an interview with Susane where you can get the down-low on some things going on with her.
You’ve written on such a wide variety of topics – all the way back to When It Happens (<3) to Lost in Love. What is one thing that lets you know you’ve stumbled on the next idea to write on?
The way ideas have come to me over the years has been really fascinating. I’m usually planning one or two books ahead of my current work in progress. So I already know what my next book will be about before I finish the one I’m writing. My books have kind of always chosen me, instead of me choosing to write them. Some ideas have come to me in a powerful moment of clarity where everything just clicked, and in that moment, I knew the idea would become my next book. Three of my books, Take Me There, Something Like Fate, and the new book I am starting to write now, all came to me in dreams. I woke up and knew they had to be written next. The running joke is that I really am working 24/7. My subconscious is always working, especially when I am asleep!
Being a veteran author, what is one part of the path to publication that always seems shiny and new to you?
My readers! Their support and enthusiasm makes me so happy. Even longtime dedicated readers send me sparkly warm fuzzies that are shiny and new for each book. Book events are my favorite part of being an author because that’s when I finally get to meet my readers in person. I’ve always said I have the best readers in the world, and the fact that they are there to celebrate each new book is amazing. Every event is unique, and each one brings shiny new interactions that I will cherish forever.
You write young adult stories that have romance in them. Do you have a romantic story from your young adult years that sticks with you?
Yes! The only big romantic thing that ever happened to me in high school happened when I was a senior. Up until then, nothing ever happened EVER. I’m from Middle of Nowhere, NJ. Can you imagine how isolated I felt stuck in the middle of the woods with no car before the internet? Dude. It was harsh. But then there was a boy senior year, and another boy, and the plot of When It Happens began to form. In college I knew that one day I would have to write that story. My goal in writing When It Happens was to write the kind of YA novel I would have wanted to read as a teen. I have always been obsessed with alternating perspectives, so telling the story from both Sara’s and Tobey’s points of view was essential. And as always, I write each book with the hope that it will make my readers feel less alone. Tobey was inspired by a real boy who actually played guitar and had the bluest eyes. He proved that soul mates are real. Which is another reason I wanted to write the book—to share how it feels to be with a soul mate, and hopefully motivate my readers to never settle for less than the love they want.
You always seem to have something fabulous around the corner, so I have to ask: what is next for you?
My new book, Lost in Love, will be out on May 3. It is the second book of the City Love trilogy and has my favorite cover of the three! I love a good non-coincidence, which is why I’m stoked that Lost in Love is being released ten years to the day of my first book. Ten years later…and ten books. That will be a fun full-circle moment.
Thank you, Susane for stopping by to answer a few questions. I have to agree with you that I love the cover for Lost in Love being awesome.
About Susane Colasanti: Susane Colasanti is the bestselling author of When It Happens, Take Me There, Waiting for You, Something Like Fate, So Much Closer, Keep Holding On, All I Need, Now and Forever, and the City Love trilogy. She has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree from New York University. Before becoming a full-time author in 2007, Susane was a high school science teacher for ten years. She lives in New York City.
Confessions of a Long Time Susane Colasanti Reader:
AKA Why You Should Read Everything Susane Colsanti
- Her books are so good I destroy them. In a good way. As in, I’ve gone through THREE copies of When It Happens because I wore it out so much over the years from reading it (I mean, it’s been quite awhile since I first bought that book). Now I have a shiny signed hardcover that sits on my shelf, along with a beat up paperback that is there just for rereading. Who doesn’t want a book that can ignite that kind of passion?
- Susane just freaking rocks. As you probably saw above, she just has such a way of storytelling, even when just talking about her as a writer, etc. She just GETS young adult as a genre.
- When I first met Susane, I kind of geeked out (in a totally embarrassing way). And she didn’t run away. (I would have).
- Not that personality or being nice should be an influencer really, but it kind of is. Susane is one of the most genuinely nicest people I’ve ever met, and she LOVES her fans! (I mean, she hasn’t gotten rid of me yet).
- Her books always have these crazy (in a good way) plots.
- I am always surprised. Every time I pick up a new Susan book.
- I am a total sucker for a good romance, and I know I will always find that when I crack open the next Susane Colasanti read.
About Lost in Love by Susane Colasanti:
In this second book of the City Love trilogy by bestselling author Susane Colasanti, three girls share a Manhattan apartment the summer before college begins. Lost in Love captures the essence of summer love, self-discovery, and sisterhood, a perfect fit for fans of Sarah Dessen, Jenny Han, and Jennifer E. Smith.
Sadie was convinced that Austin was her soul mate, but after discovering his secret she wonders if she even knows him at all. Darcy was all about fun boy adventures with no strings attached . . . until her ex moves to New York City to win her back. Things are getting serious with Rosanna and her boyfriend, but will she be able to break free of her past and let him in? With no parents, no rules, and an entire city to explore, this is the summer that will change their lives forever.
Told from alternating points of view, Lost in Love weaves a story of first love, first heartbreak, and everything in between.
Tomorrow Feb. 16, 2016 fans will be able to chat with Leah Konen, Susane Colasanti, Michelle Zink and Chris Howard! There will be giveaways, plus you can get to know these authors a little bit better! Here is the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/HarperSummer2016Tour/. Be sure to be there. :)
THIS STOP ONLY:
Giveaway #1: Enter to win a signed ARC of Lost in Love by Susane Colasanti. (US Only)
Giveaway #2: Enter to win one of 3 Kindle copies of City Love by Susane Colasanti, the first City Love book. (Wherever you can receive a Kindle ebook)
TOUR WIDE GIVEAWAYS:
Giveaway #3 – 5 Finished Copies from the Harper Teen Winter 2016 Catalog
Code Word for This Stop: 2016
5 books are: Front Lines by Michael Grant, Revenge & the Wild by Michelle Modesto, The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks, Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin, & The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
How to enter:
Collect the daily word from each blog stop during the Harper Summer 2016 Tour (a total of 50). Once you’ve collected them all, email the complete saying to: HarperTeenTour@gmail.com
- Winner must have a valid US mailing address to receive the prize
- Winner must be over 13
- Only one (1) entry per person for Prize #2 – duplicates will be deleted.
- Only a completed phrase will be accepted as an entry – do not email each word/phrase daily. Wait until you have the complete saying and then email in.
- All email submissions must be received by 11:59 PM EST 3/31/2016.
- Winners will be selected 4/1/2016 and will have 48 hours to claim their prize before another is selected.
- Participating blogs and bloggers are not responsible for unsent, damaged, and/or stolen prizes offered by the publisher.
GIVEAWAY #4: A Harper Teen Summer 2016 Catalog prizepack of 45 books*.
*Titles not included: The Crown by Kiera Cass, Escape from Asylum by Madeline Roux, Sing by Vivi Greene, The Countdown by Kimberly Derting, & United As One by Pittacus Lore
In addition to the one massive prize winner, we will also have 4 winners who will be able to select 3 titles they want from the Summer 2016 Catalog.